21 February 2011

Kosblog Digest #1



















After 59 posts, Let's take a look back on the 60th. Here's a little nugget-sized primer of the music I've been compelled to put up here the last few months, starting with the first song from my very first post. This collection works pretty well as a mix, but it was really put together by pairing two songs at a time, both from the same post (usually back-to-back as they are here). You can think of every two songs as a couplet, starting with the 1st & 2nd, 3rd & 4th, etc. Just like real couplets, some work better than others. My favorites, in case you're curious, are "The Mermaid Parade" into "The Old Black Hen" and "Too Young to Burn" into "Jack & Diane", which works shockingly well, almost as if it's one song that's divided by an acoustic first half and an electric second. You can clap along and literally not miss a beat between the two.
Hear them all below and I've put the mix in a zip file for your convenience. Happy listening.

Cults - Most Wanted
Generationals - When They Fight, They Fight
Swingin Medallions - Double Shot (Of My Baby's Love)
? and The Mysterians - 96 Tears
Billy Swan - I Can Help
Roy Orbison - Dream Baby (How Long Must I Dream)
Jenny Lewis With The Watson Twins - Melt Your Heart
Mazzy Star - Fade Into You
Phosphorescent - The Mermaid Parade
Songs: Ohia - The Old Black Hen
The Flying Burrito Brothers - Wheels
The Byrds - You Ain't Going Nowhere
Sonny & The Sunsets - Too Young To Burn
John Mellencamp - Jack and Diane
Unrest - Make Out Club
Built To Spill - Else
Nina Simone - Suzanne (Alternative Version)
Richie Havens - Here Comes The Sun
Elvis Presley - Blue Moon
Cowboy Junkies - Blue Moon Revisited (Song for Elvis)
Thelonious Monk - Abide With Me
Otis Redding - Change Gonna Come

Kosblog Digest #1.zip


1 comment:

  1. These are all really good songs!

    I was looking at your postcards and I was wondering if you could write me a story and send me one. I'm new to blogging so I wasn't sure where to post this. I am a student at the school that your brother, Lucas, teaches at. If you could send me a postcard of your choice and a story that would be awesome! Please email me so I can give you my address.

    Thanks!
    Jaime
    jiaeikmre@aol.com

    ReplyDelete