12 November 2012

Ruler of My Heart, Robber of My Soul




Nothing fancy this month, folks, just a good old-fashioned, can't-go-wrong soul mix. Cause that's how I feel. Some of these I know you've heard before, while a few are slightly deeper cuts that are hopefully new ones for you. Sam Cooke bookends, because, well, I think the world would be a better place if his voice was the first and last thing we heard. There's the other Sam, the one with Dave, and Bob, with Earl. There's Otis, of course, and Aretha and Etta and Irma. Percy Sledge brings down the house as always with the song that single-handedly cemented a legacy. Bill Withers has a rare socially-minded moment. Jimmy Cliff is on here, and you may be thinking "but wait, he's a reggae artist!" And yet, he went ahead and crafted this amazing soul song anyway. Someone really should've told him he was a reggae artist. None of these tracks reach a tempo faster than mid-, so just calm yourselves down, alright? No need to get excited. Just go about your business, whatever it may be, knowing it's a little bit better with this music playing.  

P.S. With certainty, this has been my favorite mix to sing along with as I post.

Sam Cooke - I Lost Everything
Sam & Dave - Small Portion of Your Love
Aretha Franklin - Dark End of The Street
Jimmy Cliff - Many Rivers to Cross
Bob & Earl - Don't Ever Leave Me
Etta James - I'd Rather Go Blind
Irma Thomas - Ruler of My Heart
Otis Redding - I've Got Dreams To Remember
Jimmy Reed - Honest I Do
The Soul Clan - That's How I Feel
Ben E. King - It's All Over
Jean Wells - If You've Ever Loved Someone
Percy Sledge - When a Man Loves a Woman
William Bell - I Forgot Be Your Lover
Bill Withers - I Can't Write Left Handed
Sam Cooke - Mean Old World

November '12 Mix.zip

No comments:

Post a Comment