17 October 2012

I Will Follow You Around In This Tune




One of the cool things about being me is that many of my friends are very talented. I offer this months mix as proof - the artists on the first half of this set are all personal friends of mine, and some of them probably even feel the same way about me. They've all created, in their own fashion along their own winding path, some stellar pieces of music and I'm honored to present a few of those cuts here, for the rest of my friends. The artists on the back half of this set are not personal friends of mine, but that doesn't seem to have affected their songwriting or musicianship in any way. They've all done admirably.

First up is the wondrous Zora Tucker with her rendition of a song she learned from me that I learned from my friend Jacob that he used to sing with his sister that's a derivation of a 1975 Hazel Dickens song. And that's how folk music works. A bit further down the tracklist Zora appears again, singing an original, "Beyond", written as part of a song-a-day-for-a-month project. And that's what poetry sounds like put to music. Ain't she somethin?

Next, The Kid Carsons pull a double header from their recently released EP Settle Down. They did such a fine job stitching these tracks together I just didn't have the heart to separate them; they go together like a koozie and a cold beer. The whole album is this good, by the way. From experience I can tell you it makes for a fine drive along a river road. Listen to it at www.thekidcarsons.com. I think they just finished a tour but if you get a chance to see them live, don't miss it.

Ugly Purple Sweater offer up "Jumbo Slice", complete with fun whistle-along chorus. This is actually one of their older tunes, but it fit in this mix better than anything from their newer album, which I'd say is a good deal more sonically expansive. You should probably give it a spin: www.uglypurplesweater.com. I just know you'll like it.

The euphonious Letitia VanSant delights with two songs from her new debut album, Breakfast Truce.  It was no easy task to pick which song, or even which two, from that charming effort to grace this mix. But I was won over by the agreeably paced progression of "Bits and Pieces" and I'm just the biggest sucker for the kind of layered vocals all over "Reunion". Get on over to www.letitiavansant.com and hear the rest already. Sandy, they oughta revive Lilith Fair just for you.

As I write this, I've just received correspondence from Bailey, one third of Free Advice. She informs me that they're recording again starting Friday, and that's good news. In the meantime, you can hear what they've put to tape to date at freeadvice.bandcamp.com. It's some ramshackle, free-spirited hullaballo, and I dare say it's at least a little whiskey-soaked. "Within//Without" is infectious. They really shine in person, though, making the audience feel like part of the band. If you live in nyc, you have your chance to see them monthly at Brooklyn's Rod & Gun Club.

Finally, there's Ms. Amy Luxenberger with a short and sweet tune written for a boyfriend's birthday. Amy and I worked at camp together for just one summer and we haven't spoken since then, so it's the most tenuous friendship here but a friendship nonetheless. I like everything about this song, but mostly the few lyrics - "One day I guess you had to start / And so, you were born". That summation of the miracle of life appeals to my simple sensibilities. This is a demo, I think, one of a handful on a burnt cd I took home that Summer. I don't know know if Amy has any other recording or where they might live, but I hope she's still making music.

Ok, now that I've done my duty and shamelessly promoted those I call my own, the rest of the mix is pretty good, too. Give her a listen and hear for yourself.

Zora Tucker - Oh, Virginia
The Kid Carsons - Even So
The Kid Carsons - Oh My God
Ugly Purple Sweater - Jumbo Slice
Letitia VanSant - The Bits and the Pieces
Zora Tucker - Beyond
Letitia VanSant - Reunion
Free Advice - Within//Without
Amy Luxenberger - You Were Born
Alela Diane - Bowling Green
Phosphorescent - Worried Blues
Shovels & Rope - Lay Low
Songs: Ohia - Just Be Simple
Angel Olsen - Tiniest Seed
Edith Frost - Hear My Heart
Death Vessel - Belt of Foam
White Antelope - Wild Mountain Thyme

October '12 mix.zip

1 comment:

  1. Oh, hey. This is, in fact, only a sampling of talented musician friends. They're just the ones that I had actual recordings of.
    Do you make music sometimes? Are you a friend of mine? post a link to your tunes in the comments here. And come visit me, I miss you.

    ReplyDelete