14 January 2012

While You Were Sleeping, The Money Died, Machines Were Harmless, And The Earth Sighed




The tone of the mixes I make tend to change with the seasons. Accordingly, January's selection is some sleepy fare, for the most part. The lead-off track, "Andalucia", is the centerpiece of the mix; every song that comes after stems from that 1973 beauty, taken off John Cale's wonderful baroque-pop album Paris 1919. As a semi-conscious nod to the Velvet Underground, the next two tracks on the mix are from two of Cale's compatriots in that band, Nico and Lou Reed. Kind of makes you realize why the Velvets are so revered - it's like a supergroup in reverse.

"Richmond" and "April Fool" are both Ronnie Lane-penned pieces, the same guy who wrote "Ooh La La", one of my top ten songs (that's right - ever). He's my current music-nerd obsession. You can see some time-capsule videos of him doing his thing on my tumblr. The version of "Richmond" here is a vinyl rip, my first such attempt with a new record player I got for Christmas (thanks, mom) and an old Faces record from my family's attic (thanks, pop - miss ya). That's why there are those fun crackles and pops on it.

A few other notes: If you're listening to this and have any connection to BYM camps (or familiarity with traditional Irish folksongs, I suppose), you'll recognize the melody from "Another Saturday" - will ye go, lassie, go?
"While You Were Sleeping" is one of those songs that has everyone's favorite lyric in it, but it's a different lyric for everyone. The title of this post is from the song. Listen to the lyrics on this one.
I've always felt that Bob Dylan's best songs were his love songs (Visions of Johanna, Lay Lady Lay, Girl from the North Country, etc.). "Buckets of Rain" tops that list for me - I do it for you, honey baby can't you tell?  

John Cale - Andalucia
Nico - Afraid
Lou Reed - I Love You
Arthur Russell - I Couldn't Say It To Your Face
Stuart Murdoch - Another Saturday
Camera Obscura - Before You Cry
Tilly and the Wall - Let It Rain
The Lucksmiths - Pin Cushion
The Faces - Richmond (vinyl rip)
Ronnie Lane & Pete Townsend - April Fool
Cass McCombs - Harmonia
Elvis Perkins - While You Were Sleeping
Vic Chesnutt - Flirted With You All My Life
Micah P. Hinson - Oh, No
Edith Frost - Pony Song
Bob Dylan - Buckets of Rain

January '12 Mix.zip


1 comment:

  1. I stumbled onto your lists after googling some Elvis Perkins lyrics (to get 'em straight already!), and now am minorly bewildered, so must comment... who are you and why do you like all of my music?! Alas, my taste must be commoner than I thought. Regardless, you've packaged it all in a very snappy manner. Well done.

    ReplyDelete