31 March 2012

You Rock Me Till I'm Crazy And Everyone Says It, Southern Girls You Got Nothing To Lose




I promised in the last post I'd give you something to wake up this time around, so here it is: strong beats, true tempos, guitars front and center, and some stupid silly lyrics. That's right, this month we explore the popular sounds of 1970's glam rock and power pop.

The tension between accessibility and oddity here is downright fascinating. Seriously, pay attention to the lyrics in these songs; bizarre stuff. And the instrumentation and production choices really start to stretch their creative legs around this era. But this is music for the people for sure - infectious, dance-able, and easy to like. I'd call it subversive, but I think it's just addled.

The one outlier here is the first track, Supergrass' "Alright", released in 1995, but I recently saw Clueless again and just couldn't resist including it. It fits just like an old shoe, anyhow. See our friends, see the sights, feel alright.



1 comment:

  1. We've still got go-go dancers, roller skates, and Bowie cover bands here in Cali. Never listened to the lyrics before. Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete