01 August 2012

I See A Wilderness For You And Me




I guess this mix could be subtitled "neck-deep-in-summer, cultural-appropriation" - that gives a good approximation of what it sounds like. It's been hotter than hell this Summer, and I always imagine World music soundtracking this kind of climactic extreme, even though I guess there are as many cold places in the world as hot places and I'd be remiss if I gave the impression I had more than a passing knowledge of "World music". Ain't everything World music, after all?

What we have here are Westerners making music using non-Western styles, for the most part. I can't really name the styles any more particularly than that, but much of it sounds African to my ears (Highlife, maybe - the champagne of African genres). I'm pretty comfortable with the idea of white boys making music from other cultures because, let's be honest, we've been doing that since the first time we heard any. Musical cross-pollination is responsible for most popular music today. At this point in our shared history, it is very natural. Artist have license to accept influence from anywhere - as long as due credit is given and those influences are acknowledged. There are pitfalls, of course - "Jogging Gorgeous Summer", for instance, sounds like it could almost be an outtake from the Lion King soundtrack, and The Avalanches remix of "I'm a Cuckoo" lays it on a little thick. What's homage to one soul could be mimicry to another.

This mix isn't all cultural appropriation, of course. Some of this "World music" is the genuine article, and some of it isn't World music at all. But I'll let y'all figure that out. To end on a personal note, I would like "Fantasy II: Summer" to soundtrack my life, please. Thank you.

The English Beat - Save It For Later
Elvis Costello - Living in Paradise
The Clash - Bankrobber
Pill Wonder - Gone To The Market
Coconot - Verbena De Los Delfines
Islands - Jogging Gorgeous Summer
The Microphones - Karl Blau
Karen O and The Kids - Worried Shoes
Wilco - Someday Some Morning Sometime
Karl Blau - Fantasy II: Summer
The Ruby Suns - Tane Mahuta
Fool's Gold - Surprise Hotel
Iron & Wine - Innocent Bones
Paul Simon - Train In The Distance
Edie Brickell and New Bohemians - Nothing
Taken by Trees - My Boys
Belle & Sebastian - I'm A Cuckoo (Avalanches remix)
Exuma - Exuma's Reincarnation

August '12 mix.zip



No comments:

Post a Comment