29 June 2012

Summertime Never Ends




"Summertime never ends". Sigh. Wouldn't that be nice? But time does seem to fly, and swiftly at that. Incidentally, I realize June's mix is coming up pretty hot on the heels of July. Thankfully, the months for which these musical collections are named are arbitrary. It's true - you can enjoy any of these play-lists at any time of the year. Try it out if you don't believe me. But I digress, I guess.

The mix we have here is a tad shorter than I usually make them. I think that's because I couldn't find anything to follow Mr. Kravitz in the anchor position - I just couldn't. Not that there isn't any music out there that wouldn't sound great following the seminal 1991 hit, but Lenny serves as something of a wildcard on this set of songs. When that drum roll announces those soaring strings and that funky beat, it's pretty unlike any track that's come before it. What's to be done after that display? A simple yet incongruous return to the intoxicated sound of Twin Sister or bleary-eyed Memory Cassette? Or a string of professional-grade showstoppers that overshadows all that came before it? I think not. Nominally, anyway, "It Ain't Over Till It's Over" should be right where it is and I like the function it here serves - like a cork on a champagne bottle, popped.

Bobby Womack - Please Forgive My Heart
Daughn Gibson - Lite Me Up
Animal Collective - What Would I Want? Sky (edit)
Atlas Sound - Walkabout
Deerhunter - Helicopter
Warpaint - Undertow (edit)
Frankie Rose - Know Me
Cocteau Twins - Lorelei

Memory Cassette - Listen To The Vacuum
Twin Sister - Lady Daydream
Lenny Kravitz - It Ain't Over Till It's Over

June '12 Mix.zip

4 comments:

  1. Damn son! Replaying immediately.

    P.s. Nice transitions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, gurl.
    I'm all about the transitions, or "trannies", if you will.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They played Cocteau twins in my yoga class the other day...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It made me very happy.

    ReplyDelete